Simple Caramel Granola



Delicious caramel-flavored granola, made from 5 simple ingredients and ready in 30 minutes!


I love granola.  Not only does it taste good - but it makes breakfast so easy.  I want to feed my kids a nutritious breakfast, but I'm not always able to cook first thing in the morning.  Which means that we sometimes resort to cold store-bought cereal - which isn't terrible, but I want something with more substance and nutrition.  I usually make big batches of granola and store it in a tupperware - then it's ready for us to eat in the morning.


This recipe was an experiment, but it came out well.  My goal was to make granola that would have a caramel flavor.  So I threw a few ingredients together and baked it.  Then I asked my children to taste it, without me telling them what it was.  I wanted to know what it tasted like to my kids.  They all agreed (without any prompting from me) that it tasted like caramel.  So there you have it.  Caramel granola.

I make granola without nuts or fruit for my family - because everyone has their particular likes and dislikes.  This way, if my kids want nuts or fruit - they can add it.  If they don't want nuts or fruit - they can just eat it plain.  Add whatever you would like - pecans, walnuts, raisins, apple chunks, etc.

This granola is also a great topping for yogurt.



Want more granola recipes?  Try chocolate granola or peanut butter granola!

Servings: 10
Serving size: 1/2 C
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes

4 C oats
1/2 C brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 C butter
1/4 C honey


  1. Preheat the oven to 325F.
  2. Prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.
  3. Place the butter in a small microwave-safe bowl and soften/melt in the microwave.  Each microwave varies - for my microwave, it takes about 40 seconds on 30% power to get the butter good and soft.
  4. Meanwhile, combine the oats, brown sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
  5. Add the softened/melted butter and honey.  Mix until well combined.
  6. Spread the oat mixture onto the baking sheet.
  7. Bake for 23-27 minutes, stirring halfway through.  You know the granola is done when the oats around the edges of the baking sheet start turning brown.  The granola will be soft when you take it out of the oven, but it will get crispy as it cools. Go here for tips on cooking granola.
ENJOY!


Comments